BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cooking between naps

Teagan's naps.

I had a lot to accomplish today and on top of what I HAD to make, I had promised the kids some cookies. I started the bread early this morning as we needed it to make rolls for dinner. When it is in between weather, not too warm, not too cold, I am thankful that the dryer is always running so I can put the bread to rise. Soon enough the fireplace will be going and the bread will sit there to get ready to bake.

After starting the bread dough, I decided to cook up some bacon. I really wanted a BLT for lunch and wanted to make a quiche for me to eat through the week. I haven't been eating as much protein as I should and I can feel it, so a quiche is an easy meal to have handy. To make the quiche I used a store bought refrigerated crust...I know, I know, but I had it and it was quick and easy between the baby's 10 minute cat naps! I put the crust in a pie pan, then made a simple roux in a pan using a bit of butter and flour, salt and pepper. I added defrosted and lightly squeezed spinach (I wanted some of the spinach water) and cooked with garlic. Usually I add onions, but I am running low so I skipped it :) I put a blob of cream cheese, about 2 Tbs and a small splash of cream in with the spinach and cook until thickened. Put the spinach mixture in the crust, crumbled a few strips of bacon on top and added a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese...although I wish I had Jarlsberg! Then I took 6 eggs and some milk, about 1/2 to 1 full cup depending on egg size and whipped together and poured over the mixture. Bake at 350 until no longer jiggly in the middle, turn off the oven and leave the quiche in the warm oven for 15 more minutes. Yum!

After making the quiche, I made some cookies for the kids and prepped for dinner. Tonight we were having steak sandwiches with sweet potato fries. Took two of our top round steaks left from our cow order and cut them into bite size chunks. Added loads of black pepper, some salt and worschester sauce and tossed together. Cooked on a very hot cast iron skillet with melted butter until just medium rare. This goes on the homemade rolls with lettuce and cheese. Sweet potato fries were sliced, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper a little cinnamon and a small dash of cayenne pepper. Bake at 400 turning often until cooked through and starting to brown, I often have to finish mine under the broiler to get a little crisp on them.

So that is what we ate today :)

0 comments: