BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 30, 2009

Too much bread...and I wish I meant money

I have a ton of leftover bread. I made cinnamon raisin Challah bread for Thanksgiving morning, regular artisan bread for Thanksgiving dinner and hamburger rolls for last nights dinner...needless to say, lots of extra bread.

I needed something for tonight's dinner, something warm and toasty as it had been a long day of hard thoughts, and I also had to use up the bread.

I decided to make a combo bread pudding/baked french toast. I made a cinnamon caramel sauce out of butter, brown sugar, a little corn syrup and dash of salt all brought to a bubble on the stove. I then greased my big Pyrex and added the syrup to the bottom. I cubed up the half loaf of Challah that I had and a half a large boule of bread and pushed it down into the syrup. Then I beat 8 eggs and two cups of milk with a teaspoon of vanilla, two tablespoons sugar, a teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of salt, poured over the bread and pressed down. Refrigerate for two hours then baked for an hour at 375 until a knife came out clean. Then I sprinkled the top with small pats of butter a little more cinnamon and brown sugar and baked ten more minutes. It hit the spot, kids loved it and I used up most of my extra bread!

0 comments: