BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dinner evolution

I had no intentions of posting until tomorrow, but then I went to make dinner and had one of those moments that folks who love to cook, but also who cook all the time, have. My plan for dinner was a simple meatless baked ziti, bread and salad. As I gathered the items I needed, I saw them...leeks. I had bought them to use when the in laws were here since they like the veggie lasagna I make. With Thanksgiving looming, I really need to use those leeks up, one can go in the stuffing, but the other...well. Then it happened, dinner evolution. My mind started going and a new plan, and recipe, was hatched.

I had a really nice, big, organic leek to use up. I already had my ziti noodles out, as well as my ricotta and mozzarella. Quick scan of the fridge and freezer, and I pulled out about 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Here is what is being made.

I sliced my leek and washed it really well, they are very sandy. I put the leeks in a pan with a blob of butter and a few glugs of olive oil. I then sliced my chicken very thing, and then cut into bite sized pieces. This is really easy to do when the chicken is still partly frozen, plus you avoid the slimy chicken feeling. I then cooked the leeks and chicken together until the chicken was cooked through, adding salt and pepper and garlic when almost done.

The ziti noodles were boiled and drained, then the chicken mixture was tossed in the same pot and stirred well. I added one can of diced tomatoes and a half a bag of leaf spinach, stir well. I then made a simple white sauce (flour and butter in equal portions, cook for a few minutes, add milk,salt and pepper and cook until thickened) then added a good handful of grated parm cheese and poured over the pasta/chicken/spinach/leek mixtures. Stirred in a handful of mozzarella cheese and put in a big baking dish. Added a few spoonfuls of ricotta, sprinkled some more parm on top and baked until bubbly.

The trick is to taste it before you bake, especially checking for salt. Everything is cooked at this point, so it is safe, but the parm cheese is salty, so be careful adding salt. I am not sure what to call this, any ideas??

0 comments: