BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pot Yoast

So, the cookies I made the other day are gone and the husband has requested more. He may need to wait until tomorrow, I am not sure I will be able to pull it together enough today.

Tonight we are having pot roast, or as my oldest used to say, "Pot Yoast"

I love pot roast, it is easy, delicious, healthy and cooks in one big ole pot all day long making the house smell yummy! I never make it exactly the same way each time, but today I am going with my more "traditional" version.

In my big Le Crueset I put some very thinly sliced sweet onion with a few swirls of olive oil. I cut them really thin since no one else in my family has my deep love of onions, and they cook down to almost nothing if they are thin enough. I then take my chuck roast and brown each side while the onions are cooking all in the same pot. Once that is done, I add salt and pepper and enough liquid to reach halfway up the roast, preferably use beef stock, that is what I do and it gives loads of flavor. I then add either 4 large fresh diced tomatoes or a can of whole tomatoes to the mix and let cook. After a few hours, I will go and add carrots and potatoes, some roux I made earlier and cooked until deep brown, more salt and pepper, a few red pepper flakes, a dash of hot sauce, and garlic powder. Let cook with the top off until the veggies are tender, the meat is falling apart and the gravy is thickened. The time will really depend on the size of your chuck roast, and you may need to add liquid if you cook too long without a top. I like to start breaking up the roast when I add the veggies, especially when I have a huge roast like I do today, it helps it get tender.

I will make drop biscuits and egg noodles to go with the pot roast and we will have full bellies! We go a little heavier on the spice and flavor since that is my family's preference. The hot sauce doesn't really make it hot, it just adds flavor, I actually add it to chicken soup to give a nice tang with little to no heat, but feel free to make it as spicy or mild as you prefer.

0 comments: